Tuesday, July 20, 2010

20 July 2010 - Vacation in Italy - a true test of my progress with gout

I had a fantastic time in Italy, spending six nights along the Italian Riviera in the Cinque Terre area.  It was HOT and HUMID, but quick dips in the Mediterranean made the weather somewhat tolerable.  This trip was a true test of how far my battle with gout has progressed.  I didn't go crazy while down there, but did get far more exercise during this time than probably the entire previous year combined and sampled some foods I haven't tasted for far too long.  The Cinque Terre coastline is extremely rugged making for difficult and exhausting walks and hikes even in the five towns that comprise the area.  Once outside those villages, the walking and hiking becomes even more extreme.  And walk we did.  Each morning I woke up more sore than I have been in ages, but I was able to overcome this by starting out slowly each day, working out the kinks and loosening the muscles before embarking on anything too rigorous.  I think 'they' call this getting old!  I'm just happy to report that none of the pains I experienced felt anything like gout, just overuse of underutilized joints and muscles.

Again, I didn't go bonkers with my diet while on holiday either.  I did sample a calamari ring or two, had a few pieces of salami, and even sampled a hamburger while in Levanto (something we usually do when we travel - try a burger in each place we go to see what that place's take on it is - NOT good in Levanto!).  I also did have a few glasses of Chianti and some of the local white wine, the first alcohol I've had in over 8 months.  Although I do plan on re-introducing meat back in to my diet slowly, the alcohol will not become a normal thing for me.  This was a rare occurrence where I felt compelled to try what I've heard so many talk about (and it was good!).

After Cinque Terre, we spent two night in the Brenner Pass area on the Italian side of the border.  It was nice to get out of the stifling heat along the coast and to relax in this beautiful area.  We did do a bit more hiking while there, but nothing too extreme.

Usually after a trip like this, I would expect to have been stricken with an attack of gout by now.  So far, however, not a twinge to be felt in any of my joints.  In fact, I feel more healthy and alive and better than I have in the last year after this trip.  As I posted previously after my last bad attack, I do feel different now.  My joints feel cleaner, I don't feel the impending twinges signaling large or even small attacks occurring which can only mean that the Allopurinol and my strict diet have really been working to cleanse my body.  Am I out of the woods concerning my gout?  I highly, highly doubt it.  I do think that the worst is over, but I will need to be careful and vigilant with my diet and my lifestyle and will have to make sure I do not lapse back in to any bad habits.  I think this is the key.  I can't just proclaim, "I'm cured!" and resume living life as if gout was never a concern for me.  Keep up a good and healthy diet, continue taking the 600mg of Allopurinol along with 220mg of Naproxen per day, continue getting regular exercise, and always remember that I am still living with the disease of gout and always will be.

I'm still not sure about skiing this coming winter, but things are looking better.  If nothing else, I at least hope I'll be able to get out to do some touring.  Downhill may have to wait, but at the rate I'm going, I may be able to go back to enjoying the mountains and the snow sooner than I think.

* a picture I took near Brenner Pass in Italy during an amazing lightning show last Saturday night:

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear/see/read that life is improving for you, Nate.
    One warning, though: 220mg Naproxen a day could spell troubles down the road. Use it only when you have an attack. Naproxen can affect your kidneys negatively. Keep a constant check on your kidney vitals if you deide to stay on it. By the way, why are you taking it daily?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to hear you are doing better.
    I was wondering if you walk normal?
    I cant shake my gout in my knee and I have not walked normal for 8 weeks. Bad limp but the pain is not the horrible gout pain of a fresh attack.

    Jim
    St Louis MO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hans ~ The Naproxen (Aleve) won't be a permanent thing. It is mainly to fight any inflamation and to deal with the non-gout joint pain I still have - mainly, my knees and achilles.

    Jim ~ I'm not doing too bad in that department, but, as I just mentioned, I do have a lot of knee and achilles pain still. The pain seems to get better as I get warmed and loosened up, but never goes away completely. Running or jogging right now would be out of the question for me! Both achilles are extremely tight and my knees are just a mess anyway. However, these were both areas of common and extreme gout attacks over the last 10 years so I suspect some damage has been done. If I keep moving, not so bad. After sitting for an hour and then getting up to walk - ouch! I think even this pain is getting better with time, however.

    Also, when my knees were attacked by gout, the gout-like pain lasted anywhere from 1-6 weeks. After this went away, my knees were still extremely sore and it was difficult to do much of anything. It's only been recently that they've started to feel a bit more 'normal' and the pain I'm experiencing isn't gout pain nor is it that after-gout-attack pain either. It's different and hard to describe, but I do see it as a sign of getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nate- thanks for the info
    did you ever have an MRI on your knee?

    I am getting worried about my knee - my good leg looks like the HULK and my gout leg looks weak.

    its been 6 weeks in my knee

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim ~ I've had a few MRI's on my knees, but it's been two years now. I've had three surgeries on my right knee (two meniscus, one microfracture/tendon shortening to bring patella back in place). Last MRI revealed possible slight tear to MCL in my left knee and patella problems (again), but nothing extremely serious. I think much of the pain I'm feeling is from gout/cartilage damage.

    An MRI may be an option if things continue the way they are and don't get any better. They are expensive as hell in the US, though. Seven grand (mostly insurance paid, but still) for me in Alaska 5 years ago... 400 dollars in Germany two years ago. Go figure......

    I do hope things improve for you

    ReplyDelete