I just got back from the clinic and am pleased to report that my Uric Acid level is down to 3.3mg/dl. This is actually considered 'low' since a normal range is usually between 3.5 and 6.5, at least by the doctor's scale (gouties know it's a MUST to keep UA levels below 6.0!). I was really surprised to see a reading of 3.3, mainly because I have slowly started eating meat again, even some red meat, and even indulged in some wine twice (and a glass of Chimay beer). I've also been working out a lot more lately which does tend to elevate UA readings a bit. Now, I do know that this monthly blood test I get is only a snapshot in time and doesn't represent a true average of my UA levels, but it still is great to see it so low. The night before the test I even ate a couple of bison burgers which I thought would elicit some sort of spike.
This result tells me a couple of things. One, it is probably entirely true that diet alone doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to do with gout. I do have my suspected food triggers, which I believe to be beer and seafood, but overall, as has been stated on Gout-Pal.com over and over, your overall diet really won't make a huge difference in treating your gout. Now, with that said, I still think it is VERY important to cut out suspected gout causing foods when you first begin treating your gout. Let the drugs do the work, you helping them along by not aggravating your gout with things such as alcohol, shellfish, tuna, etc... I really think me being so strict with my diet helped my recovery immensely! Once you've been gout-free for six months or so and you have kept your UA levels below 6.0mg/dl, eat and drink what you want - in moderation!
Two, I probably should begin lowering my daily dose of Allopurinol. It's done it's job in getting my UA WAY down (maybe too low?). My liver enzymes are still slightly elevated, and this is probably due to me taking 600mg of Allo per day. I'll worry about this when I get back from my trip to the States, though.
Anyway, I am feeling a bit better since my last post. I'm still tired, stressed out and a bit moody, but these past few weeks have been stressful as hell. I'm really looking forward to getting back to the US to see some family and to do a bit of relaxing. The stuff I'm stressed about will work itself out one way or another. Time to let it go a bit. My body is still a bit achey, too, however. This is a bit discouraging. I'm still limping around slightly, but it is not because of gout. My joints just.....hurt. And, they are odd pains that spring up in one joint, subside, then spring up in another joint. For instance, right now, my left knee and left big toe are throbbing and my right ankle hurts. And, I'm just sitting here typing. Soon, other joints will start feeling the same while the ones that were just hurting will feel fine again. It's much different pain from gout, though. Perhaps my body still settling in to this new phase in it's evolution (revolution?).
Alright, so I'm out of here for two weeks and probably won't be able to post at all while I'm away. To whoever reads this blog and my ramblings, good health to you and we'll see you when I return!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment