Friday, June 11, 2010

11 June 2010 - Gout isn't Just About Joint Pain

For the last few days, I feel like I’ve gone 12 rounds in the ring with George Foreman. I’m talking the fit George Foreman, the one at the top of his boxing game. However, this version of Mr. Foreman wasn’t wearing boxing gloves when I stepped in to the ring with him. Instead, he had his signature product, the George Foreman 360 degree grill, taped to each hand.

Gout is a tricky disease. I would say that most people probably know that gout is a condition that is very painful. However, I doubt that many people, even people who have had a gout attack or two, realize just how many ancillary problems there can be to deal with after years of living and dealing with gout. Over time, the cocktail of medicine one takes before, during, and after an attack, can create some unpleasant side effects. The last three days, I have felt like absolute shit. I’ve had an extremely upset stomach, so bloated and painful that it felt like a balloon that could be popped with the gentle touch of a safety pin. Eating anything just made this worse. I have no idea exactly what caused this, though. Going off of the Tramadol? Adding high dosages of Aleve to my daily mix of pills? Stress from dealing with horrible gout attacks over the past three weeks? Lack of quality sleep for the last week?  None of the above? All I know is that I have been miserable and it’s why I haven’t posted in the last two days.

I have also felt so low on energy during this time that I have done something the last couple of days that I rarely, rarely do. I’ve come straight home from work and have made it no farther than my bedroom before crashing out, fast asleep and oblivious to anything around me. I NEVER take naps. Sure, I’ve tried before, but naps just don’t suit me. It usually takes me anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes to shake off the effect of a nap and I always feel worse afterwards. These last two days, though, I have been so low on energy, so absolutely out of it, that I have literally passed out on my bed minutes after arriving home.

Feeling the way I have also affects other people. I’ve mentioned this before in my posts, but I sometimes hate how I am around others when I’m suffering through a gout attack or feeling the effects of something possibly related to gout. I fall back in to my own little world, trying to conserve what little energy I have for whatever tasks I have in front of me to finish. At work, this means not making small talk with others or caring what new all-season tires my boss ordered for her Volvo. Of course, people notice I look like shit and can tell I’m not feeling well, and then I have to hear about how they have a sniffle or how a bunion has been bugging them. It’s not that I don’t care, but I’m way beyond a common cold or some discomfort that someone is feeling in their shoe and I just don’t have the energy to garner much sympathy. It makes me look like an asshole.

The same applies when I get home. After a full day of work, I’m really out of it (see narcoleptic naps above). I feel horrible that I am not able to give as much attention to my wife as I want or that she deserves. I try, but I can’t. I can tell she gets frustrated with me, too. It’s just hard, when I’m feeling this way, to get too excited about measuring spoons I may have misplaced after I washed them or where an open plug for a fan is. Normally, I’d have some smart-ass, yet funny, comments for her regarding these things. I feel horrible when it comes across like I don’t care. I do care, I just have a hard time showing it when it feels like baby Godzilla is about to erupt from my abdomen, I haven’t eaten a proper meal in two days, and my head feels like it’s been repeatedly bashed in by said George Foreman Grill.

I really can be a nice guy when I’m feeling healthy. I can be a real bear when I’m not. Gout is evil in this way. All the more reason to keep doing what I’m doing and hopefully, get this gout thing under control.  I am feeling better today, but my stomach is still a bit grumbly, my head is still in a fog, I still have some leftover gout pain in my right foot/ankle/achilles, but I can't complain.  Well, I can, but at least I'm not as out of it as I have been.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Nate, for still mustering that much energy to describe your condition. Haven't had your stomach troubles, but the rest could be a description of myself.
    And now, I have something which is not anything to make you feel any better, or for that matter, myself: Because nothing is going to make me feel better, since I am about 99.9% sure that the situation will not be changed.
    I received notice from Medicare yesterday that when I become a member of Medicare Part B on July 1, 2010, that my monthly payments will be $154.60 and NOT $110.50 as everyone else is paying. And what REALLY surpassed all prior insult: They are going to punish me for the rest of my life for not having used/misused/abused and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars during the last 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate,

    It seems the side effects of Tramadol and Aleve are causing you problems. Some of the side effects are:

    Tramadol:
    GI: Constipation, nausea, dyspepsia, abdominal pain.
    CNS: Dizziness/vertigo, somnolence, asthenia, depression, lethargy, malaise, nervousness, paresthesia, weakness.
    [For complete info see: http://www.drugs.com/ppa/tramadol-hydrochloride.html]

    Naproxen (Aleve):
    GI: Inflammation, bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach, small intestine, or large intestine.
    [For complete info see: http://www.drugs.com/pro/naproxen.html]

    Since you have already stopped Tramadol, its side effects should improve soon. However, be careful with Aleve. You may like to take it with food, reduce the dosage, or discontinue it if necessary. I suggest that you give your doctor a call.

    BTW, if your doctor wants you to discontinue Aleve, I suggest that you ask him for the replacement of Aleve. I am concerned that if you discontinue anti-inflam completely, gout attack may return.

    Good luck.
    (By annon.nn)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anon,

    I don't think it was the Aleve causing the problem. It was either the Tramadol or something else completely unrelated. I've continued taking the Aleve and my stomach is back to feeling fine now. I've never had a problem with naproxen so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the stomach aches don't spring up again. I can't really take ibuprofen or acetaminophen because of the one kidney and I don't really want to take diclofenac after the latest study linking it to heart problems just came out.

    I'll be going back in for my monthly blood test in the next couple of days. Should be able to see the doctor early next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hans, that is horrible. Do you think your situation would improve if you were living in Germany? I actually haven't met any Germans over here suffering from gout so I'm not sure how they would be treated, what would be covered, etc...

    If I stick with my current job, I will be switching contracts in September. Although not ideal, at least I will be on better private insurance. Actually, almost any insurance plan would be better than what I'm on now. I'd have to look at my spreadsheet at home, but I've easily spent thousands of dollars on doctors just this year. I've also easily met my deductible, but I'm still only being covered at 30% for some of my appointments. Talking to them about the what's and why's is an effort in futility, too. I've given up and just pay now - exactly what they want and why they make things so convoluted. I simply do not have the time to deal with it. My wife and I have spent up to six hours on the phone with Blue Cross in one night just trying to get answers to what we thought were easy questions. We've done this numerous times and it is exhausting and oh so frustrating. I HATE American 'health' care right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nate, from what I know/hear/read, Blue Cross seems to be one of, if not, THE worst, insurance company in America.

    We both know, compared to European healthcare systems, regardless which one, the Amrican SYSTEMS are NOT health insurances, but schemes to make big bucks fast and the controllers of the systems rich fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue Cross is horrible and I'll be happy to be rid of them soon.

    The European system has its problems, too, but those problems are like a gnat compared to an elephant when looking at the US system.

    ReplyDelete