Thursday, June 3, 2010

3 June 2010 - My Achilles is my achilles

Seriously.  Come on gout.  What in the hell?  After darkening my world for the past 10 days, I was beginning to see some light.  Visions of a semi pain-free weekend were dancing through my skull.  Yes, I felt your twinges yesterday in my right ankle, but I held on to some hope that they would only remain an annoyance.  How about granting me a little break here?  Why so soon again?  I guess I didn't go through enough pain last week.

Yep, my right achilles is now undergoing a full-fledged attack.  I really have nothing more to say about it.  It is what it is and there is nothing I can do about it.  I can't go begging for pain pills and I certainly don't want to take a sequence of prednisone again so soon.  Right now, I can handle this as is.  I'll just be walking around like Quasimodo for who knows how long again.

Last night my wife and I were getting plans together for a work-related trip back to the States in August.  We will also be visiting her family while we are over there also.  All I could think of as she read of the itinerary and the hours of travel we would face is, "how in the hell am I going to be able to handle this if I'm still in the condition I'm in now?"  This isn't a simple trip either.  It starts with a three to four hour drive, a wedding ceremony and reception, then an early rising and early drive to the Frankfurt Airport.  After spending who knows how many hours in the air, we make a switch in Detroit and then land in Chicago on Sunday night.  The next step is to try and get some sleep, wake early the next morning, and then look forward to a week on my feet.  After that, off to my wife's home state.  A short flight, a bit more driving, hob-nobbing with the family.......  I just hope I can make it through the very first part of the trip.  Ah, the thoughts that cross your mind when you suffer from gout.  Gotta love it.

3 comments:

  1. Nate,

    Sorry your left achilles is also in pain. If you are out of the Rx pain pills, you may want to try OTC Acetaminophen. It's the second ingredient in Percocet. It can relieve some pain. Be sure not to take more than 4,000 mg/day, and not to take high doses for too long.

    To track down the possible triggers of your attacks, may I ask the following:

    1) What's your Allo dose history before 3/23/10? (mg/day in what time frame.)

    2) When did you raise Allo dose to 600 mg/day? What's the dose before the change?

    3) What's the history of your blood UA levels in the past 6~12 months.

    4) Are you taking other meds besides the ones listed in the Tracker? What are they, if any.

    5) Do you have GI problems lately?

    6) Are you taking supplements such as Vitamin C, Niacin, B12,... How much a day?

    7) Did you change your diet and activities after 3/20/10?

    Take care.

    (annon.nn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon,

    early morning here. My achilles is much worse this morning. It's going to be tough to drive. BTW, my mistake typing - it's my right ankle/achilles. To quickly answer your questions:

    1) 600mg right before bed (10PM or so)
    2) I've been on 600mg/day for 7 months now. Always taken at same time at night. 300mg/day for a month before that which didn't get my UA levels below 6mg/dl.
    3) Since starting 600mg, UA levels have been less than 6mg/dl. Usually between 3.9 and 5.
    4) All meds, vitamins are listed in the Tracker. I'm taking nothing else.
    5) Minor ones but not too bad
    6) Just the Vit D3
    7) No changes in diet. Still meat and alcohol free for the past 7 months.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon - A bit more of a breakdown for you:

    UA levels before Allopurinol (1995-2009). Various readings, over time, but always over 8.5mg/dl - as high as 11mg/dl

    Oct 2009 - put on 300mg/day of Allopurinol. UA levels fell to around 6.5mg/dl

    mid Nov 2009 - put on 600 mg/day of Allo. Took full dose before bed up until 4 days ago. Now taking 300mg @ 6am, 300mg @ 6pm

    UA levels since taking 600mg - 3.9 to 5.1

    My diet has been pretty consistent the last seven months. I shy away from all foods listed high in purines (bad gout food).

    hope that clarifies....

    ReplyDelete