We had a good trip this past weekend but it was almost spoiled by my back going out on me. When I awoke early Saturday morning, I was happy to find that I hardly had any gout pain going on. Not 30 minutes later, however, I started feeling the familiar radiating pain in my lower back that seems to come on whenever I am starting to feel healthy. Seriously, this is like three times in a row that this has happened now. My gout pain approaches zero and then something else in my body decides to fill the pain void. Frankly, I'm quite sick of it and am becoming a bit disillusioned over the whole situation. Three times in the last 2 months this has happened. It's either my knee or my back, two areas I've been having a lot of problems with recently, two problems I've had thouroughly checked out by doctors, and two problems that I have received no answers for.
We did a lot of walking on Saturday and I'm happy to report that I felt no real gout pain in my toes, ankles or anywhere else. Most of the walking we did was on uneven cobblestone or on old, worn steps. Usually, these types of surfaces can be a worst nightmare for gout sufferers. So, chalk up a victory for me there. My damn back, though. It hurt like hell throughout the entire day. Finally, at around 9pm that night, it went out completely. I was lucky to make it back up the stairs to the room we had rented for the night. I was not a happy camper. I'm also (un)happy to report that my knee went out on me three times during the day. There wasn't much pain involved with this, but it was a bit akward. Take a step and.....no more support from the right leg which in turn wrenched my back as I tried to keep myself from tumbling to the ground.
The pain in my back had subsided somewhat by Sunday morning. We did a quick morning walk (shuffle for me) around the pedestrian area to take some pictures and then loaded up and drove back home. Each bump in the road, every pothole hit, every train track crossed reminded me of my back pain. I was happy to get back to the house.
Today (Monday), the back is still hurting and now I am experiencing some sharp pains under my knee cap again. Both are unrelated to gout but they still hurt. So, no starting the workout plan quite yet. I'm sure once my back feels up to it, the gout will come back on. I'm just drawing from previous experience here.... perhaps I shouldn't be so negative, though.
I turned 36 today. I feel every one of those years old - plus 10 more. I've got to get this stuff under control or the next 36 years are going to be absolutely excruciating. Yes, I'll still be patient and hopefully, very soon, I can start with some light activity. I'm just tired of waiting.......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment