Finally, I've found a bit of free time to sit down at a computer, relax, and give some thought to what I've done over the past two weeks. First, let me start by saying that I am freaking exhausted! These last two weeks have had me constantly on the go, leaving my reserve tanks nearly empty. It has been a great trip, though, and I've thouroughly enjoyed it. I have put my poor body through the ringer, however, and frankly, I'm surprised that I'm still walking. Besides some left ankle soreness that has had me hobbling for a few days, my body has held up remarkably well despite what I've thrown at it.
Horribly unhealthy American restaurant food. Completely changing my diet while I've been away from home. Getting an average of 3 to 4 hours of good sleep a night. Walking for who knows how long each day and being on my feet way more than I'm used to. Being extremely stressed regarding mine and my wife's employment future. The boring-as-hell work conference in Chicago. Stressing over upcoming trips when we get back home to Germany. Having no time to let my body heal.
All of these things combined, to put it simply, have kicked my ass. Don't get me wrong - I've thouroughly enjoyed my trip, but I'm here to write about how the trip has affected my gout health and not to write a cheery Rick Steeves diatribe on how charming I found downtown Minneapolis (which I did, by the way).
If anyone looks over my gout tracker spreadsheet, they will notice that I have included a few entries under 'gout pain' meaning that I did experience some discomfort from gout while on the trip. Although I would not label these as full-blown attacks, they did affect me enough that I became concerned. Actually, I became concerned enough at one point that I visited in a clinic in suburban Minneapolis to procure some prednisone to knock the attack back. Luckily, this worked for the most part. I still am experiencing some pain and discomfort in my left ankle, but I think the threat of a full-fledged attack has passed.
Coming back to the US has been an eye-opener for me. The amount of bad food that is so easily available astounds me. The lack of good, healthy food one can find while out and about is amazingly minimal. Although I'm not watching my diet as closely as I have been over the past year, eating during this trip was like turning the volume up from 0 to 12 when I was only looking to crank it up to 3. But, when you boil it all down, I did choose to eat what I ate and I paid for it. I was out of rhythm, I didn't want to inconvenience others by making them eat my specialized diet, and I didn't want to starve so I ate what was available. I'm just looking forward to getting home where I can control my diet much, much better - and be able to drive a mile down a road and not see 76 fast food restaurants! * I must note that my in-laws did a great job of making good, healthy food available for me when we were at their house. I love them for that!
So, what did I learn on this trip about my gout? Basically, shove enough shit food down your throat while not letting your body rest is not a good idea when you are a gout sufferer! I also learned that Allopurinol is an amazing drug and really does work for me. Before being on Allopurinol, just one pastrami sandwich would have sent my gout spiraling out of control. With Allopurinol (and a maintained low Uric Acid level), I've eaten the average unhealthy American diet for two weeks and have come out relatively unscathed.
Alright, time to get to the airport and begin our 17 hour travel odessey back to Germany!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nate, I am sure you now can tell the world that most of the food, particularly fruits and vegetable here in the USA don't have any taste what so ever. Not like in Europe. The only time you get something close, is when someone grows it him/herself.
ReplyDeleteAnd when you look at the food label, 90-95% is chemically altered or just compounded of chemicals.
The food in the US is horrible compared to that in Europe. Good, fresh, and tasty fruits and veggies can easily be found all over the US at roadside stands, farmers markets, grower's co-ops, etc.. but the majority of people don't shop at these places. They shop at the grocery stores where the selection and quality is horrendously sub-par. At least the selection at European grocery stores is equal to the quality found at other outlets such as Saturday markets (for the most part). Why not in the US? Oh, that's right, the chemical companies control all that now. I don't care what the USDA says, chemically treated produce, meats, dairy, etc IS NOT as healthy as non-treated goods. Foods made with additives, chemicals, hormones, etc.. ARE NOT as healthy as those without this shit.
ReplyDeleteWhat really gets me is the ungodly amount of cheap fast food available in the States. No wonder there is an obesity epidemic! Just try to find a healthy meal as you travel the highways and bi-ways of the US. It's not easy! In Europe? Not a problem at all. Unfortunately, fast food is taking hold in Europe as well and the people are eating it. Been to Germany lately? Lots of wiggle and wobble in the people out there compared to 10 years ago.
I wish people would wake up are realize that fast food will make you fat, lazy and will kill you early. Eat fresh, eat local, eat chemically untreated/unaltered goods and you will feel better. I'm absolute proof of this!
Nate: "Been to Germany lately? Lots of wiggle and wobble in the people out there compared to 10 years ago." You must NOT have seen my statement, yet: "Germany is the 51. state of the USA."
ReplyDelete