First, I love your Gout and the Active Person above!!!
Second, you got a real good site here, Well done!
Third, I am with you ALL THE WAY!!!
Now that I have said that, what can I say to make this world a better place to be in?
I can't help the feeling that you are overtaxing your body. I KNOW! You are young, strong, healthy, except for GOUT, and your body needs, wants, demands to be exercised!?!?!?
I have gone through 6+ months (and counting) of gout related misery. At times on 8 spots of my body: one finger on each hand, both knees, both foot ankles, and both big toe areas, with open wounds on each. Right foot has 6 open spots right now. I have been able to avoid infection so far and started a new treatment with Manuka honey (from New Zealand) three days ago. MY LAST AND FINAL HOPE.
I have not had your problems with back and wrists, but the rest I do. I don't know if you can do it, are allowed to do, or get away with doing it: Not walking, resting your body till it can function again properly. You still got 44 years left till you get to where I am now. I only started 26 years ago (that is with gout), so you do the math. One thing I can assure you: Your body will NOT forgive you if you don't listen to it. What I mean to say is: The body has a way of telling us what it wants and needs, IF WE LISTEN TO IT. (Just read your own story of going (driving home): Your body told you in no uncertain terms, while YOU liked to walk around and taking pictures, etc., your body (feet) didn't like to walk on those cobble stones. You knew it (you said so yourself.)
Nate, please, don't take this as criticism you. I am only pointing out what WE ALL can be accused of: Not listening to our body when it tells us: Enough is enough!
It's only Saturday (I am not Jewish), so I'll get of my soap box, and since I don't believe in a god, as the organized churches proclaim there is, I won't get on it tomorrow, Sunday, either.
Regardless, enjoy what ever there is to enjoy for you.
I don't take that as criticism at all - I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you!
I am horrible about listening to what my body is telling me. But, I have been much better about it the past six months. I almost waffled a couple of times and thought about trying to ski, but I held off and didn't go once this season. I'm trying to let my body rest as much as possible, but sometimes, I do go out for short walks but not usually when a foot or ankle is hurting. I know it's going to take time until I get to a place where I can start working out again and I'm trying to be patient. It's not easy!
I have been actively treating my gout for just about six months now. 600mg Allo/day, no alcohol, no red meat, little fish, staying away from the bad foods, drinking plenty of water, resting, etc... The results have been promising. I was told it would take three to six months but I now realize it's going to take a bit longer. I suffered through horrific gout attacks in multiple joints for years. It's going to take time to get my body right again! When I am able to somewhat get back to a 'normal' lifestyle, I really will have to pay attention to what my body is telling me. I'm looking forward to getting to that point!
Thanks again for the feedback! I will be adding to this page soon (diet, exercise - with help from my brother). Just have to wrap up a couple of other projects first!
I just caught up with you here today after reading your comments on Colchicine. As far as I am concerned, the American government, President and the Congress, should be recalled for not stopping, but promoting the greedy, power-hungry strategies of the, particularly, Pharma industry. But this is a subject which goes far beyond the scope of your blog.
Back to listening to your body. And what comes next, please, don't take it personally, just take it with a grain of salt: My philosophy about men is that they are all (99.9%) full of LSD (you might say: drugged), but not with the stuff of the sixties. They are all L=lazy, S=stubborn, D=dumb and I am the best example of my own statement. Men more so than women, are really lazy. And I am not speaking of physical laziness, but mental laziness. We find more excuses for not doing something than Carter has liver pills, especially if pain is involved. However, in the end we are forced to deal with our problems, one way or the other. A good example is your treatise about your peeing adventure: Kids do it all the time. When they need to pee, they procrastinate to the point that they pee (or Mother Nature makes them pee) in their pants. As an adult, I have resisted getting out of bed at night till Mother Nature said in no uncertain terms: Get up NOW or else. The end result was, I got up, did for the body what it needed to do, went back to bed and was awake for the next 2-3 hours, because the whole episode woke me up completely. It took me about 70, yeah, seventy, years to wise up. Now I get up the moment my body tells me to oblige, I do, go right back to bed and sleep again almost immediately. I am sure you can find examples for yourself.
One other development: My Manuka honey is working. After less than 10 days, some of the holes have closed already or have shrunk. The foot still looks terrible but I can walk again, not fast, but I can. I got pictures to prove it, except the photos would not pass the beauty contests.
The last ten years of my life have been a whirlwind. After graduating from Oregon State University in 2000, my work has taken me to Hawaii, Japan, Alaska and now Germany. In each place, I spent as much time outside as possible, enjoying the activities I love the most - skiing, surfing, hiking, biking, and camping. Over these ten years, however, my gout became increasingly worse, limiting what I could do and when. Gout began to take over my life while I was in Japan and it was a losing battle up until mid November of 2009. I hope this site can help you with your battle against gout. Any comments and suggestions are welcome!
Hello Nate,
ReplyDeleteFirst, I love your Gout and the Active Person above!!!
Second, you got a real good site here, Well done!
Third, I am with you ALL THE WAY!!!
Now that I have said that, what can I say to make this world a better place to be in?
I can't help the feeling that you are overtaxing your body. I KNOW! You are young, strong, healthy, except for GOUT, and your body needs, wants, demands to be exercised!?!?!?
I have gone through 6+ months (and counting) of gout related misery. At times on 8 spots of my body: one finger on each hand, both knees, both foot ankles, and both big toe areas, with open wounds on each.
Right foot has 6 open spots right now. I have been able to avoid infection so far and started a new treatment with Manuka honey (from New Zealand) three days ago. MY LAST AND FINAL HOPE.
I have not had your problems with back and wrists, but the rest I do. I don't know if you can do it, are allowed to do, or get away with doing it: Not walking, resting your body till it can function again properly. You still got 44 years left till you get to where I am now. I only started 26 years ago (that is with gout), so you do the math. One thing I can assure you: Your body will NOT forgive you if you don't listen to it. What I mean to say is: The body has a way of telling us what it wants and needs, IF WE LISTEN TO IT. (Just read your own story of going (driving home): Your body told you in no uncertain terms, while YOU liked to walk around and taking pictures, etc., your body (feet) didn't like to walk on those cobble stones. You knew it (you said so yourself.)
Nate, please, don't take this as criticism you. I am only pointing out what WE ALL can be accused of: Not listening to our body when it tells us: Enough is enough!
It's only Saturday (I am not Jewish), so I'll get of my soap box, and since I don't believe in a god, as the organized churches proclaim there is, I won't get on it tomorrow, Sunday, either.
Regardless, enjoy what ever there is to enjoy for you.
Hans
Hans
Hans,
ReplyDeleteI don't take that as criticism at all - I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you!
I am horrible about listening to what my body is telling me. But, I have been much better about it the past six months. I almost waffled a couple of times and thought about trying to ski, but I held off and didn't go once this season. I'm trying to let my body rest as much as possible, but sometimes, I do go out for short walks but not usually when a foot or ankle is hurting. I know it's going to take time until I get to a place where I can start working out again and I'm trying to be patient. It's not easy!
I have been actively treating my gout for just about six months now. 600mg Allo/day, no alcohol, no red meat, little fish, staying away from the bad foods, drinking plenty of water, resting, etc... The results have been promising. I was told it would take three to six months but I now realize it's going to take a bit longer. I suffered through horrific gout attacks in multiple joints for years. It's going to take time to get my body right again! When I am able to somewhat get back to a 'normal' lifestyle, I really will have to pay attention to what my body is telling me. I'm looking forward to getting to that point!
Thanks again for the feedback! I will be adding to this page soon (diet, exercise - with help from my brother). Just have to wrap up a couple of other projects first!
take care
Nate
Hello Nate,
ReplyDeleteI just caught up with you here today after reading your comments on Colchicine.
As far as I am concerned, the American government, President and the Congress, should be recalled for not stopping, but promoting the greedy, power-hungry strategies of the, particularly, Pharma industry. But this is a subject which goes far beyond the scope of your blog.
Back to listening to your body. And what comes next, please, don't take it personally, just take it with a grain of salt:
My philosophy about men is that they are all (99.9%) full of LSD (you might say: drugged), but not with the stuff of the sixties. They are all L=lazy, S=stubborn, D=dumb and I am the best example of my own statement. Men more so than women, are really lazy. And I am not speaking of physical laziness, but mental laziness. We find more excuses for not doing something than Carter has liver pills, especially if pain is involved. However, in the end we are forced to deal with our problems, one way or the other. A good example is your treatise about your peeing adventure: Kids do it all the time. When they need to pee, they procrastinate to the point that they pee (or Mother Nature makes them pee) in their pants. As an adult, I have resisted getting out of bed at night till Mother Nature said in no uncertain terms: Get up NOW or else. The end result was, I got up, did for the body what it needed to do, went back to bed and was awake for the next 2-3 hours, because the whole episode woke me up completely. It took me about 70, yeah, seventy, years to wise up. Now I get up the moment my body tells me to oblige, I do, go right back to bed and sleep again almost immediately. I am sure you can find examples for yourself.
One other development: My Manuka honey is working. After less than 10 days, some of the holes have closed already or have shrunk. The foot still looks terrible but I can walk again, not fast, but I can. I got pictures to prove it, except the photos would not pass the beauty contests.