I guess there really isn't a lot that is new to type about my condition. My left knee is more swollen than yesterday afternoon and the pain is definitely worse. I can barely, and I mean barely, walk right now. When I do get up off of the couch, I have to scoot along in a crouched position as I can not straighten my left leg at all. Can't even come close to it. Although the swelling is mostly above my knee, the pain is still mainly on the outside of the joint/leg. If I twist the wrong way, even the slightest bit, I get horrible pains down my leg to my foot, all on the outside. It feels like tendons and ligaments wanting to burst out of my skin. This is a first for a gout attack in the knee. I have to be very, very careful when moving my leg and must keep the leg straight or the sharp, burning, intense pain shoots down the leg and is nearly unbearable. I haven't cried yet, but have come close. It's that bad. Last night I was jolted awake when I apparently tried to move the leg in my sleep. I woke up screaming in pain, the intensity and duration of the pain approaching epic proportions. It took quite a while for the pain, and my heart rate, to subside.
I've stayed home from work today, not by choice but by necessity. There is no way in hell I can drive. Hell, I doubt I could even make it to the car if I thought I could drive. So, I will use up my remaining four hours of sick leave and then figure something else out for the remaining four hours. Luckily, my wife was up this morning as I slowly (very slowly) made my way downstairs. With her help, I've been able to set up a nice and relatively comfortable nest on the couch. I've got the laptop, a full bottle of water, the remotes to the TV and our Ipod player and my medicine all within reach.
I'm going to be making some calls to my doctors here in a little while to see what my options are. I'm hoping I can have my German doctor make a house visit later since I can't make it to his office. I don't know if that will fly, though, but getting my knee aspirated (drained) and getting a steroid injection would really help. If not, I'll call my American doctor and see if he can't put in a prescription for some prednisone and percocet and have my wife pick it up. I don't know if that will work either, though. All I know is I need some kind of treatment or I won't be able to go to work for a few more days which will cause all kinds of problems for me.
I did take some new pictures this morning. Click on them to enlarge.
No comments:
Post a Comment